Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How often do you repack you wheel bearings?

On my boat trailers I repacked twice a year. On utility trailers maybe every couple years. What are your thoughts?

From what I've read on the forums on this subject, it depends on the size of your wheels. The 12" rims/18" diameter tires on the Harbor Freight/Northern Tool trailers I noted should be repacked every 2000 miles or so. Bigger rims/tires can go as long as 10,000 to 15,000 miles. I personally check mine two to three times a year, depending on how many far-flung destinations to which I wander, and add grease as I see fit. I re-axled my HF trailer and upgraded to 13"rims/24" diameter wheels, so I'm going with 10,000 miles between complete repacks. That is pushing fresh grease into the EZ Lube fittings until I see it squish out in the front of the hub. Hope my two-cents worth help.

Comment

We're running 13" wheels and presently are only clocking a couple thousand miles per year due to camping locally. However next year we are planning a cross country trip.

Comment

Depends on how much traveling we've done throughout the year, but I try to remember to repack at least every other year. Which reminds me, our HiLander is overdue

Comment

First of all, EXCELLENT TOPIC! One of the most easily prevented "vacation heartbreak" I've seen in my travels is an axle hub sheared off and a trailer sitting lopsided on the side of the road. The other is a camper crash that is usually the result of driving too fast or without sensible due caution.

With that being said, we put approximately 10k mile per year on our T@G with our longest trip so far being 7k in 5 weeks. I repack my bearings only once a year. BUT, after reading the other posts, I'll start a semi annual regimen.

Comment

Working...
          X