Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asset (camper)Tracking - AirTag, Tile, GPS, LTE, etc...

I know AirTags and Tile operate via Bluetooth, so tracking is basically crowd-sourced and will only work when the device pings a person that uses those respective devices. It looks like an AirTag range is only about 33ft, but I haven't been able to find clear data on that. Some of the newer Tile devices have a range of 400ft. But since those are both crowd-sourced, that severely limits functionality and reliability in rural settings. So a GPS or LTE (mobile network) tracker would certainly be better, but they all seem to typically have a much higher monthly subscription for their services.

What are your experiences with using some sort of tracking device as a safeguard for your camper? If you're using one of the GPS trackers, what was the device cost and what do you pay for the monthly service?

Thanks!

+1 on this question

Comment

I have a LandAirSea 54. It's defiantly a great gps unit. It's magnetic, so it can be very versatile. I use it when I travel by car/motorcycle where others can see my actual location in real time. It saves all your trips and data.
      The monthly cost depends on frequency of pings. They range from 3 second updates($19.95 per month) to 3 minute updates($49.95 per month)cheaper if you prepay).
      The benefits are GeoFence, InstaFence, share location with family and friends.
      I've tried others, but this is great, easy to use. able to use it for different applications.

Comment

Thanks for the info Joel! I'll have to look into those.

Comment

Hello, We use the Spot Trace gps tracker. It was 99$ at Cabela's with 1st yr included. Since than it is 149$ a year for monitoring. It will tell you its location in real time, track its path, and send movement texts and emails. It has a great app that you could track down your camper and lead the cops right to it. I have it on my camper and a utility trailer. I can only do so much to prevent my trailer from being stolen, but I can take steps to quickly recover it. 100% recommend Spot Trace gps.

Comment

I have an asset tracker from Lonestar Tracking. I think it cost about $100 to buy and then it is $15/month for the service. I get a notice on my phone if it moves 10 feet. It will also track the route. Anytime you stop, and then move again it pings the location. Well worth the $ for the peace of mind. It holds 3 AA batteries and isn't much bigger than that, looks like of like an ant trap. I hide it in the closet.

Comment

I am curious about how frequently teardrops are stollen. Anyone aware of any statistics? Is it a function of where you camp, how often you leave your TT, and for how long?Preventative measures are great idea but what is the risk vs the cost. As a new teardrop owner, I have been thinking of this so this is a great discussion for me. I was thinking of just going the locks and insurance route.

Comment

Originally posted by AClark View Post
                I am curious about how frequently teardrops are stollen. Anyone aware of any statistics? Is it a function of where you camp, how often you leave your TT, and for how long?Preventative measures are great idea but what is the risk vs the cost. As a new teardrop owner, I have been thinking of this so this is a great discussion for me. I was thinking of just going the locks and insurance route.
                I don't think they are stolen often, but all it takes is that one time. Most of the instances that I recall, the trailer was stolen from storage. I think if you are buying a manufactured teardrop off the sales lot or directly from the manufacturer, then insurance and replacement shouldn't be too difficult to deal with. But many people have custom-built campers that may be a lot more difficult to replace. Yes, the insurance company may cut me check for however much the policy is written for, but that money couldn't give me back all the time I would need to build a new one. So if you have a chance at quick recovery, then some sort of tracker becomes part of your insurance policy.

Comment

Not on our Hiker square drop. But on our egg camper, we have a Trak-4 GPS mounted on the roof. It is solar, so no hard wiring (no holes!) and doesn't need the battery charged manually. There are several plans available, with substantial discount for paying annually. We have the middle, ten-minute reporting plan. Like others, it also uses geofencing for the home location.

Click image for larger version

Name:	t4solar_3000x1800_shopify.png.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	31272
                  Steve - Northern Ohio, USA
                  Retired, and Exploring the USA
                  Oliver Legacy Elite II/ Toyota Land Cruiser
                  Facebook --- Instagram

Comment

Working...
                  X