Propane
    20.59%
    White Gas
    38.24%
    Kerosene
    11.76%
    Battery
    29.41%

We use White gas in this type of lantern because it burns cleaner and I can use it with the coleman stove and just carry one liquid fuel. Burns great in low temperatures. We also keep a couple battery powered lamps and headlamps too. We use them more often that the white gas.

Comment

Did propane for years with the Scouts. Now that we are traveling light, just use the flashlights or trailer lights.

Comment

I use rechargeable batteries because I can charge them with my Goal Zero battery.

Comment

I have a propane one that I won as a door prize and uses the same canisters as my stove so easy to keep the same fuel for both. Fuel lights are easier on the eyes than most modern flashlights (high speed LED flickering) so I plan to use it more when with other people so they don't need to turn their lights on as much.
          -- Paul

Personal Website

Comment

We use propane because it is very cheap. I refill the camp size bottle from a larger tank (like the typical ones found on a BBQ grill)
            After the deep fried turkey fad went away I was given quite a few larger, full tanks. The little bottle is very easy to fill and the gas is free. Speaking of lanterns, Zach do you still collect lanterns?
            Last edited by George Thompson; February 15, 2020, 12:36 PM. Reason: Added after thought

Comment

since you asked about "lantern" it is Kerosene

usually prefer no lantern opting for small flashlight or headlight if light is a MUST

like a headlight to read myself to sleep

sw

Comment

White gas, or unleaded gasoline if you have a dual fuel lantern is usually the most economical, and if like us you also have stoves that will use the same fuel it makes more sense than propane. However as far as lights goes, the battery powered dim-able lights in our Camp-Inn teardrop are usually our first choice for lights when we need them in camp, and multi-brightness level LED flashlights/headiamps for illuminating the trail to the facilities at night.

Comment

Although I have used them all, I prefer naptha, white gas fuel. As an owner of a few old style coleman lanterns, it has become a nostalgia thing for me. The priming, the smell and the sound while burning evokes memories of camping from many evenings and campouts. I do agree that flash lights and the camper side lights are musts for safety on a dark night ... but there is still something about hanging the old lantern on a tree that completes the evening.

Comment

I am like Gerg Weller, I was in Scouts for many years and used propane. A small container makes the lantern portable and the big tank with a extention pole is great for setting on a table.

Comment

I've used propane for years as I like the warmth and "hiss". I've tried LED's lately and am liking them too. At home I'm all electric. 😁

Click image for larger version  Name:	17-01-19 2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1,000.8 KB ID:	27500
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by swoody126 View Post
                        since you asked about "lantern" it is Kerosene

usually prefer no lantern opting for small flashlight or headlight if light is a MUST

like a headlight to read myself to sleep

sw
                        and while i'm thinking about it i frequently replace the kerosene w/ citronella oil in the warmer months

sw

Comment

I have a few kerosene lights, but most of our evenings are lit by LED's powered by a 100 watt 12 volt roof panel and 2 RV27 batteries.
                          Just over the Horizon
                          Owen & Rosemary

Comment

We currently use battery powered lights with rechargeable batteries, they can be recharge from our solar setup. We do have a 90 + year old Coleman my parents owned that still works and is fueled with white gas (naptha) that we used in our early tenting days.

Comment

White gas or battery-powered

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Visit my website about outdoor gear reviews

Comment

I use propane for both my lantern and stove. I have an 11lb tank. My first stove was Coleman fuel. I didn't like the idea of dealing with gas. So my next stove was propane. Both run off the same tank.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Seyler View Post
                                  ... As an owner of a few old style coleman lanterns, it has become a nostalgia thing for me. The priming, the smell and the sound while burning evokes memories of camping from many evenings and campouts. I do agree that flash lights and the camper side lights are musts for safety on a dark night ... but there is still something about hanging the old lantern on a tree that completes the evening.
                                  I almost feel "guilty" that I DON'T use the old-style fuel lanterns, given that I collect & use almost everything else that's vintage or "retro" (I've got 50's & 60's cars, a house full of 50's furniture/lamps/boomerang ashtrays, probably 15 or more vintage coolers, the teardrop hatch is full of 40's-60's dishes & kitchenware, I specifically built my teardrop to look like it had been around since the 1950's, etc). I love the look of the old Coleman-style camping lanterns. And I could really relate Scott's post, above-- I remember the priming sound, the smell, and the "hiss" from childhood camping experiences. I remember when there really wasn't much available in the realm of commercially sold camping gear--- if you had a canvas tent, one cooler, a couple of webbed lawn chairs, one metal flashlight for the whole family, an inevitably leaky air mattress or if you were more "upscale" a couple of army-style cots, and a Coleman lantern, you were considered very well-equipped!

The only two reasons I don't have the old style lanterns are 1) I figured if they were finnicky/didn't work, it would mean more items to add to the "must repair" pile (and/or I'd spend x amount of time during the camping trip working on the lanterns, and I already "work" too much when I camp, as it is), and
                                  2) I worried about fuel spilling during storage/transit (same reason I don't transport tiki torches, though I love them).
                                  So, I take the easy route, and use battery-operated and small solar lights. Looking at Zach's beautiful collection of vintage lanterns is giving me "nostalgia pangs" again, so I may have to buy a vintage Coleman lantern, nevertheless... .

Comment

I rebuilt an old AIDA lantern last year and due to safety concerns prefer burning kerosene in it. This lantern gives off a tremendous amount of light so for general local lighting we prefer Luci lights. We throw the Luci lights on the dash and they are charged when we get to our destination.

Comment

Nothing brings the nostalgia like the hiss of liquid fuel. Ive got 2 colemans to go along with the stove (which I just recently upgraded to a 413G)

Comment

I love my white gas units. There is something comfortably familiar and soothing about the glow and that glorious "hiss" of a Coleman lantern. It smells, sounds and embodies the basic elements of getting out there.
                                        However, I just picked up a Nite Ize https://www.niteize.com/product/Radi...le-Lantern.asp Radiant 314 and used it exclusively on a 2 week backcountry trip which I got back from yesterday.

I'm digging it. No muss, no fuss. Great light and the stuff sack acts as a light diffuser. Great for general use and even reading. Long battery life and the amber setting is awesome. More compact and no fuel to add.

but.....I still love my two mantle pumper!🙂

Comment

Originally posted by RatAssassin View Post
                                          I love my white gas units. There is something comfortably familiar and soothing about the glow and that glorious "hiss" of a Coleman lantern. It smells, sounds and embodies the basic elements of getting out there.
                                          However, I just picked up a Nite Ize https://www.niteize.com/product/Radi...le-Lantern.asp Radiant 314 and used it exclusively on a 2 week backcountry trip which I got back from yesterday.

I'm digging it. No muss, no fuss. Great light and the stuff sack acts as a light diffuser. Great for general use and even reading. Long battery life and the amber setting is awesome. More compact and no fuel to add.

but.....I still love my two mantle pumper!🙂
                                          Absolutely agree about the glow and the hiss! But that little Nite Ize lantern looks pretty cool! And that amber light would come in very handy.

Comment

I know I'm "late to this party," but I don't like hauling flammable liquids, so I opted for the 10 lb propane tank and adaptor hose for my Coleman camp stove. For lighting I use those cheap LED lanterns from HF that slide closed/off and slip them on/up for whatever amount of light is required. The amber exterior lights on the camper take care of perimeter lighting as needed, then switched off. Hand-held flashlights or headlamps for emergency lighting, but most of the time I go dark at the campsite except for a campfire. I prefer to enjoy the lower light setting of camping and, pardon if I offend others, I dislike the campsites that look like a carnival. Yes, Yes, you've got kids and need to keep track of them or something like that but consider dialing it back a bit for those of us that embrace the night. I like to lay back in my gravity recliner and view the stars in the night sky, but sometimes that's hard to do when "The Funhouse" is in the next site over!

Comment

Some years back I switched to LED lights and lanterns all with rechargeable batteries and Compass Rose has a battery charger for AA, AA, C and D which can be powered by the solar.

Comment

Goal Zero rechargeable when it is warm out.
                                                Coleman propane with 1# can when it is cold out. I need the heat!

Comment

Working...
                                                X