Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on Porch Lights?

Hey there! New member here about to start a scratch build teardrop. I'm wondering if you all can share some wisdom on your experience with porch lights. I want to get an area light mounted above the door for general lighting (but not so bright that I can use it for tanning!), and maybe a less powerful light under the trailer that can help in night time campground navigation without waking the neighbors. Do you have some brands that you like, or to stay away from? Cheers!

Well, since you asked......I hate porch lights. My first build had a porch light near the top of the door. While it did make finding the lock and the trailer easier at night, it also alerted all the bugs in the area to my door. So getting in without letting many in with me was a hassle. I found I never used it again and my next 3 builds didn't have one. What I did do was mount those LED rope lights to the underside of the trailer. The light went straight to the ground around the perimeter of the trailer. It just left a glow of light on the ground. It disturbed nothing. I used green lights so it was less bright.

Comment

Like Steve, I hate porch lights. Very annoying and disrespectful of your neighbors. Carry a flashlight for after dark.
      If you are scared of the dark, stay home.

Comment

I used a strip of yellow/amber LEDs above my door, under the little metal "drip rail thing" (can't remember what that's called) but never hooked a battery up to my lights (so far) because it was just never a priority & I didn't want to carry the extra battery weight on the tongue or in the tow vehicle. I'm glad I have it, but obviously have never used it.

Comment

Welcome to Tear Jerkers, Matthew!

Also not a fan of lights near a door, as they are bug magnets. And I really don't like it when a neighbor leaves their's on while I'm enjoying the campfire, and need to pull a hat low to block the light.

On our squaredrop, I don't have any fixed external lights. Instead, we have four inflatable Luci lights, which are solar rechargeable and have three brightnesses. I'll put them on the ground under the tongue (so I don't trip over it in the dark) and by the wheels for night navigation. I point the light downward so there's no spill to other campsites, nor in my eyes while walking around camp. Don't get the clear ones, Too bright; only the frosted.

https://www.amazon.com/MPOWERD-1004-...0&sr=8-12&th=1

Occasionally on sale at $19.99

Click image for larger version  Name:	513cK7HbOyL._AC_SL1000_.jpg Views:	0 Size:	57.8 KB ID:	19479
          Steve - Northern Ohio, USA
          Retired, and Exploring the USA
          Oliver Legacy Elite II/ Toyota Land Cruiser
          Facebook --- Instagram

Comment

Thank you all for the insight! I am all for the "less is more" approach, so I think I'll skip the porch lights! I really like the rope lights under the trailer idea - I think I'll go with that.
            So you all on the road!
            Cheers!

Comment

I use a large amount (some may say a ridiculous amount) of string lights. Several different styles and none are just white, white light is the worst for attracting bugs. I'm a klutz, so being able to see is important. However, I always turn them off when I go to bed, ALWAYS. One of the things I really dislike, campers who leave their lights on all night. I'm a light sleeper and lights will keep me awake.
              "It's not the years in your life but the life in your years"

Comment

We have Amber LED's inside an amber lens, does not attract the original skin-divers (mosquitos). Worked so well that I made up the same light to put inside the tear when heading off to the outhouse/bathroom/shower with the regular lights turned off.

Comment

We used this one for our build. Comes with clear or amber cover, is LED and uses very little power. It's perfect for setting up camp on those days you arrive to the site late. I really only use it for that or task lighting, we normally hang LED string lights around the edge of the awning for general camp site lighting, provides a soft amber glow all around.

Comment

Thanks for that!

Comment

On my last vintage rebuild I installed two stainless steel "puddle" lights. They've worked out really well for us. They light up the ground but aren't obnoxious to neighbors. And we turn them off when going to bed. I'll be installing the same on my next teardrop build.

RSL series Recessed Courtesy LED Light provides ideal accent lighting along the deck, dock, cabin, or swim platform of boats or yachts. The hooded housing design projects a wide beam angle of 20 lumens, while eliminating unnecessary uplight. Durable construction can with stand exposure to the harsh sun and moisture conditions of marine application.

Click image for larger version  Name:	PSX_20210802_123153.jpg Views:	0 Size:	126.2 KB ID:	25478 Click image for larger version  Name:	20210628_223632.jpg Views:	0 Size:	198.6 KB ID:	25479 Click image for larger version  Name:	20210628_223604.jpg Views:	0 Size:	150.2 KB ID:	25480

Comment

Working...
                      X