No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vintage Car Tow Vehicle ideas

Hi,

I have built a couple of Teardrops and sold them but just ended up getting my second one back. It is a large teardrop that weighs about 1800 lbs. I also like old cars and would like to pair it up with one. I kind of like early 60's cars like a galaxie or chrysler land yacht or the type. Anyone have suggestions or experience? What to consider? I assume a car with a frame would be better? Thanks!
    Eddie

How about an old truck? Plenty of room to haul stuff.

Comment

Dennis, thanks and yes that makes sense but I am just not a truck guy. lol

Comment

Well, a station wagon, of course! 😁

Click image for larger version

Name:	3d8389d0fb95dc93846a852b18060776.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	154.7 KB
ID:	20183

Name:	-Ydl9RTewyo4.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	478.7 KB
ID:	20184

Name:	440_15.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	167.5 KB
ID:	20185

Name:	PICT0151.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	138.4 KB
ID:	20186
        Steve - Northern Ohio, USA
        Retired, and Exploring the USA
        Oliver Legacy Elite II/ Toyota Land Cruiser
        Facebook --- Instagram

Comment

Before pickup trucks became the rage, I remember a lot of station wagons doing the towing jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by 1960es View Post
            Dennis, thanks and yes that makes sense but I am just not a truck guy. lol
            It's just as well, because the PRICE of classic pickups went thru the roof probably 20 years ago.(Before that, you couldn't give 'em away --- same with station wagons---- because old trucks were considered uncool, not hip, and everyone wanted sedans, coupes, hot rods). It's a terrible time, right now, to try to buy ANY vehicle (the "official" inflation numbers on used cars & trucks is "30%-35%" above normal prices, but the real numbers are much higher). I don't know if it's like real estate, where the "bubble" will burst & prices will come back down. Right now, a classic truck or station wagon (in rough shape, not running or barely running) that "should" cost 5 grand is closer to 15-18k,and a running-but-needs-work version is often still over $20k. Running well & trip-worthy? You're looking at no less than 30k.... and that's with rust ("patina"),seat rips, probably still "needs work to be totally finished" etc. "Fully restored" and supposedly not needing work models are currently priced over $45k. (And often well into the 80k-100k range). The best classic car deals, right now, are on sedans & coupes, because any kind of truck or station wagon is what's hot. [I follow the markets on this stuff fairly carefully, and have three classic cars from 1956 to 1961].

Comment

I guess I was lucky. I bought my 54 F100 in January 1978 for $700. I always liked old trucks. Did the restoration myself for around $8000.

Comment

Nick,

I agree and so trucks and wagons are out which actually is fine. I kind of like the idea of a early to mid 60's coupe. I once owned a 1966 Chrysler 300 hardtop that I should have kept. I guess that is the type I am in the market for. Thanks everyone for the replies. I really appreciate it.
                Eddie

Comment

Hey, I found a possible candidate (1964 car) but it is a unibody and not frame on. Is that an insurmountable issue? It's a really nice car at a nice price from a gentleman that we have a mutual friend that mentioned it to me. Deal breaker?

Comment

I guess you could try to find out if anyone made a hitch for it back in the day and how it attached.

Comment

Working...
                    X