Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dogs and camping and how do you do it?

Wife and I are starting to think that maybe it's time to look at adopting a dog again. One of our concerns would be, what do we do with the pup if we take them on our camping adventures?

First and foremost, we'd 99.9% for sure look at a rescue, not a puppy but not a senior (probably,) and not a "ohgodohgod I gotta do something someone take me for a walk or let me chase that squirrel or throw a ball or something PLEASE" massively active breed. Think more along the lines of a dog with a personality of "yeah, you go on your long walk, I'm fine right here on the couch for now" breed / personalities.

Leaving aside ensuring the campgrounds you go to (because we're not ready to boondock yet) need to be pet-friendly, what about those trips off the campground? Say we decide to go into the local town for some of the day.

Do you keep your dog in your camper, with the air on if it's a hot day and maybe the blinds partially closed (or all the way) and the ceiling vent open? Obviously with fresh water and maybe some dry food available as well.

Or do you plan your excursions into town so the dog can go with you?

What about if you're going to take bikes off to ride a trail or such?

We know dog-boarding (or getting someone to house / dog-sit) is an option, but if the dog can come along and enjoy some adventures to rub in the cats' noses when we get back...

Our camper is a nuCamp T@B 400 Boondock, we'd probably set up the front table as a "couch" for the dog to sleep on, as well.​

I plan my excursions around my dog(s). I've owned two breeds up until now. I've had Great Danes and Basset Hounds. Both are couch potatoes, people and dog friendly and great camping companions. And until now, all was well. However, two years ago my old Basset Hound passed. My Great Dane got very depressed. I wasn't in a position to buy another Basset or Great Dane, so a friend of mine gave me a mini-Goldendoodle puppy. She's very sweet, but energetic, and prey-driven. For this reason, she still hasn't gone camping with me. She weighs 35lbs and has pulled me to the ground twice when she decided to chase something and I didn't see it coming. And for the record, none of my Danes have ever pulled me to the ground. So now she goes to Meema's Farm for my weekend get-a-ways. She is still young, and one day I hope to be able to hire a personal trainer to help her deal with the lunging at people and animals (in a completely friendly way--mind you). However, I would not recommend any doodle breed. Also, every single sticker gets stuck in her hair in her feet and I spend hours getting them out if she manages to walk in a weed patch even if just for two seconds--it will be thirty minutes of getting grass stickers out. As for you question about the air, I'm not comfortable leaving my dog BUT there are alarm systems that hook to a mobile app that warns you should the air turn off or the temperature rise in your camper while you're away. If I was living full-time in an RV this would be a must! What I did learn was to have a spare set of keys at all times. The first time I took mine out, my dog got locked in because I didn't know it would stay locked. Fortunately, it was 40 degrees so he wasn't hot.

Comment

I can make a suggestion for breed. A golden retriever pretty well matches your description. Very laid back calm, super friendly and social perfect dogs for camping.

I camp with mine, I take him on 99% of my camping trips.typically the only times I don't it's either weather related or destination related (recently did mammoth cave area and can't take him on cave tours).

Most campgrounds have rules against leaving unattended dogs I would never leave him in the camper unattended other than when I hit the shower house. The risk of the AC unit stopping or power outage I just won't do. I do regularly leave him in my truck, running with AC on of course but never for more than a few minutes at a time. He loves his truck, knows it's a safe spot, he'll just stretch out and snooze.

I plan my trips and activities around what he will and won't be able to do. There are places I'd like to go that I don't because he's with me, trails I'd love to hike but won't etc.

I always get rescues, never a puppy typically not a senior either a 9-10-11 year old or older pooch who has not traveled or camped may not adapt to it very well. The one I have now was @4 and the previous about the same. A 3-5 year old is well past the puppy stage yet still young enough to adapt comfortably and quickly.

Mine has kinda become our chapter mascot and unofficial welcoming committee. He has even "won over" some non dog people with his calm even temperament and his need to visit and welcome everyone. He is a golden retriever Australian shepherd mix who fortunately his behavior and temperament is much more golden than Aussie.

I'm a huge dog person and think they are a great addition. I also realize they aren't for everyone. Hope you decide to rescue one and have the best camping buddy you can, I understand if you don't. Hope you post and let us know what you decide.

WOOF, WOOF, WOOF WOOF WOOOOFF WOF.... (Snickers says get a furrever camping buddy) Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220917_115801955_HDR.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	6.75 MB
ID:	24867
      "It's not the years in your life but the life in your years"

Comment

Comment

Working...
        X