Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CB Radios

With the use of cell phones does anyone use CB radios? We like to hear traffic updates such as detours, accidents, congestion, weather, conditions.

I see lately they are making a resurgence as cell towers are not required. In the instance of disaster or emergency, communications such as HAM or CB is a steady means of communication.

Also, they are no longer AM the FCC has opened it up to FM also.

Let me know if anyone is still using them and what is a good radio.

Back in the day I had a few CB radios but no longer. I do still have a handheld and base station scanner which is fun to pull out from time to time and listen to. We have been using GMRS radios for over a decade for family use and they work very well. Starting a few years ago I started looking at shortwave/sideband radios but I haven't jumped in yet, I probably will this year. I'm not an expert on the hardware so I would suggest doing a search on the internet for a few popular brands.

Baofeng seems to be a very well respected brand, all of my GMRS are Midland. I think I would go for a mobile and handheld as a set (probably a mobile and 2 handheld for each vehicle) plus a dock to bring the mobile inside. If you get the right model you can incorporate them with any existing GMRS radio you have and they'll work on CB frequencies. Excellent in case of an emergency.

Comment

Yes, agreed, CB and GMRS are popular among people looking for cell phone alternatives in emergency situations. A few years ago I did a pretty thorough search of product reviews, and found the Baofeng brand to be the most often recommended. Midland is a good brand as well. I can't recall the most-often recommended Baofeng model, but it was basically a "one step up from the bottom" model, for people looking for the best buy, best all-around way to get in. Very affordable, as in less than $40 for a pair of the highly recommended Baofeng hand-held radios including charging base.

Comment

We use handheld GRMS for backing instructions. Also have Zoleo satellite communication device for sending we're OK and location texts/emails and SOS. It gives us a little extra piece of mind.

Comment

CB are open platform of communications. Now with the FCC opening up of FM could change things at gatherings.

This would be great for gatherings to communicate about the activities and what's going on.

Comment

Working...
          X