Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Facebook and PayPal issues as it relates to new members without Facebook or PayPal accounts.

I would like to start a discussion with the full membership and leadership about FACEBOOK and PayPal. First, I know that a lot of members are users of both Facebook and PayPal. Facebook for keeping in touch with family and loved ones. PayPal for paying for things online.
    Most people that presently use Facebook most likely set up their accounts long ago in which the process was easy and non-intrusive. But today, Facebook accounts require an official photo ID to be provided to set up an account. PayPal requires the same but there is a secondary issue going on with the PayPal payment link on the Tearjerker website.

As for parentally new Tearjerker members that don't have Facebook and refuse to give Facebook or any other online social network access to their private information. This creates a problem with the Tearjerkers organization and its present members who hide behind a Facebook wall for private discussions which other members cannot join.

PayPal has an issue on the Tearjerker website where there is a link for non-PayPal payment for Tearjerker items but that link presently directs you back to PayPal to set up an account requiring an official photo ID. This is most likely just a web address error in coding and should be easily corrected.

I have discussed the problem with Facebook with friends of mine that use Facebook and are surprised by the account requirement of a photo ID. And when you ask them if they would give Facebook their official photo ID to use Facebook in all cases they said no.

The discussion I am hoping to generate within the Tearjerker membership and administrators is to redevelop the official website to incorporate the features of Facebook which the members use but without requiring personal information to join a section. This would allow Tearjerkers to drop Facebook and make it easier for new members to get involved with the organization. I look forward to the other member's insight.

Hi Gene,

It was Todd's (TJ's Founder) wish that we ALWAYS have our own website to organize gatherings and keep in touch with each other. Its the perfect place to see members from various chapters cross paths with those from other chapters, and it creates unity among members. Our Chapter Directors are made aware that information and discussions about Gatherings need to take place here because there are many many people who want nothing to do with Facebook. And I believe that number will continue to grow.

The website you see now is not our original forum. This website is only a couple years old and is under constant development. It's MILES ahead of our previous website in terms of content and ease of posting pictures, etc. With that said, its not Facebook. It never will be Facebook. We don't want to be Facebook. Facebook has an unlimited budget. We have no budget because we do not charge membership dues. Proceeds from decals and banners go towards paying our hosting service and related fees. When you say "redevelop the official website to incorporate features of Facebook", I really don't know what that means. Can you elaborate? We are always looking for ways to improve the member experience!

And finally - PayPal does NOT require an account to submit payment for anything on our website. PayPal is our SECURE processor for payments when purchasing decals or a mini banner (or anything we add in the future). When you add a decal to your shopping cart, select "Check Out as Guest", and then "Pay by Credit Card".

Click image for larger version  Name:	Capture1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	28.4 KB ID:	26342

Click image for larger version  Name:	Capture2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	30.8 KB ID:	26343

I definitely appreciate the feedback and look forward to further requests/suggestions/questions. Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by Genepaaul View Post
      I would like to start a discussion with the full membership and leadership about FACEBOOK and PayPal. First, I know that a lot of members are users of both Facebook and PayPal. Facebook for keeping in touch with family and loved ones.
      We have that at Tearjerkers.net. No need for Facebook.
      🍺 Asheville George 🍻

Comment

My Facebook account is older so I can't speak to that.

My PayPal however is barely 6 months old and I was not asked nor was it required for me to provide a photo ID.
        "It's not the years in your life but the life in your years"

Comment

Hi Zach & George,

Thank you for responding to my discussion about FaceBook and Paypal.

I might be a little confused about the FaceBook part of this discussion because I don't use Facebook myself but I saw a link on the main home page titled "TearJerkers Official" linked to Facebook. I thought there might be a need for Facebook so I don't miss meeting dates and discussions of the group. As long as the main website has all the information for meet-ups and other discussions on it I am fine with that part of the this discussion.

Paypal, I have seen the links you indicated with your screenshots but when I click on the "Pay without a Paypal account" link it still takes me back to the Paypal section that wants me to sign up for Paypal and asks for a photo ID. That is where I am stuck.

This is the first time I have had this type of problem so I don't know if it is something about my computer, browser or what.

I am a new member of the Tearjerkers group and want to be as involved as I can and any help I can get is most appreciated.​

Comment

Hi Zach & George,

Thank you for responding to my discussion about FaceBook and Paypal.

I might be a little confused about the FaceBook part of this discussion because I don't use Facebook myself but I saw a link on the main home page titled "TearJerkers Official" linked to Facebook. I thought there might be a need for Facebook so I don't miss meeting dates and discussions of the group. As long as the main website has all the information for meet-ups and other discussions on it I am fine with that part of the this discussion.

Paypal, I have seen the links you indicated with your screenshots but when I click on the "Pay without a Paypal account" link it still takes me back to the Paypal section that wants me to sign up for Paypal and asks for a photo ID. That is where I am stuck.

This is the first time I have had this type of problem so I don't know if it is something about my computer, browser or what.

I am a new member of the Tearjerkers group and want to be as involved as I can and any help I can get is most appreciated.​
            You might try clearing the browser history on your computer. In the past that has created some issues (don't remember if it was the old or current forum).

The Facebook link is just in order to let folks know there is an official Tearjerkers Facebook group. Facebook is a huge platform and an excellent opportunity to introduce folks to the Tearjerkers who might otherwise not be aware it exists. I'm an admin on a teardrop and Tiny camper Facebook group with about 43k members and I regularly run into folks who have never heard of the Tearjerkers.

This is the first I've heard of either asking for a photo ID. With all the account cloning happening on Facebook I'm not surprised they're trying to do more for verification. I don't know that photo ID is the answer however I do think something needs to be done to get that under control
            "It's not the years in your life but the life in your years"

Comment

Thanks, Brian for the advice on the browser history, I will give it a good college try. Thanks

Comment

After clearing history and trying again it jumps to this screen. I also tried to contact Paypal for help and being I don't have an account I can not do that either. I am trying to get a couple of Lone Star Chapter stickers. I believe my son has a Paypal account so I will get him to use his account for the purchase. Whoever is the website master for Tearjerkers might want to check the link so it works properly. Thanks

Comment

Hi Gene,
                  I just checked the link and basically tried to make a purchase as a guest to try to see whats going on. I saw a few things that could be the issue:
                  1. When you hit Checkout or Pay without a PP account, the next screen should say pay with Credit or Debit Card.
                  2. Then it prompted me to enter an e-mail account. (I put in a fake one because I have an account with my real one). Hit Continue to payment.
                  3. IMPORTANT! A little further than half way down is a slide that says "Save info and create Paypal account". Slide this off (to the left).
                  4. I didn't put in any CC info (because I wasn't purchasing anything), but if you hit "Pay now as guest" I would imagine it would process your CC without asking you to create an account or upload a photo.

Hope this solves the matter thats at hand.

Comment

Thanks, Eric, I will give your suggestions a try. I will report what happens but if I can not get it done myself I will use my son's account. Thanks

Comment

First, I want to thank everyone for your suggestions regarding my issue with Paypal, after many trials and tribulations it finally ended up being an issue with my primary browser. I tried an older browser and it worked fine, so I am a happy camper again. Thanks again. G

Comment

Thanks for the replies Brian and Eric!!

Gene, what browser were you using? Chrome, Firefox, & Safari are typically reliable. Internet Explore (no longer supported by Microsoft) is garbage and has known issues across the internet. Edge (replaced Internet Explorer) can be hit-or-miss.

Comment

Hi Zach, Presently, I use "Brave" for my main web browser but to get Paypal to work I used Chrome. In the past, I have used Firefox for a long time which I liked. As for Brave, it has a lot of security features. I think the problem with Paypal was with how Brave handles cookies but I have never seen that problem on other sites but I am going to check into that.

Comment

Browser problems with my Amazon Nook - (uses Amazon Silk as the brower), recently I could not log in to the forum. I downloaded google chrome and now have no issues. For a minute I thought Zach was getting back at me for not camping in PA recently.

Comment

Hi Zach, Presently, I use "Brave" for my main web browser but to get Paypal to work I used Chrome. In the past, I have used Firefox for a long time which I liked. As for Brave, it has a lot of security features. I think the problem with Paypal was with how Brave handles cookies but I have never seen that problem on other sites but I am going to check into that.
                              I've never used (or heard of) Brave, so I was not aware of any issues. At least you were able to get Chrome to work.

Originally posted by Diane F View Post
                              Browser problems with my Amazon Nook - (uses Amazon Silk as the brower), recently I could not log in to the forum. I downloaded google chrome and now have no issues. For a minute I thought Zach was getting back at me for not camping in PA recently.

Comment

Working...
                              X