Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• warmth and privacy

How do you create a warm and private space? We live in Colorado and often wake up to temps in the upper 30's. Would like to have a warm spot for coffee for me and the wife.

Michael,

THAT is the perennial issue to cold weather camping. WHO is going to brave the cold to build a fire or crank up a space heater in a small tent outside the camper. I presume you have a teardrop or smiliarly sized small camper?

One option that I've experienced was one of my chapter's members put two instant pop-up shelters side by side behind their camper with one directly behind the galley and the second "offset" to the left. In the second pop-up they had one of those propane fire pits. Suspended from the center support of the pop-up they hung a small battery powered ceiling fan. The fan was reversed to push the warm air down. This was our meeting place for our potluck dinner during the Holiday Gathering 2022. The temp was in the 40s and we were very comfortable.

This might be the "fix" for which you're looking. Place a pop-up next to the camper, install three side panels, then set one of those fire pits inside it and one of those battery fans on the supports. Whoever loses playing "paper-scissors-rock" goes out first, lights the firepit/turns on the fan, then goes to the restroom or gathers coffee fixin's and breakfast in the galley while that space warms up.

For a second option, instead of side panels affixed to the pop-up, "Sprawl-mart" has a tent that will attach to the uprights of the pop-up shelters, it's made by Ozark Trails. That might be a better option for your privacy needs and/or bug protection, but it's not that big (9' x 7' floor) and is like a half-dome tent. You'd have to go with a space heater instead of a propane fire pit.

Of course these options depend on you being amenable to hauling "more gear" in regards to the pop-up, firepit or side tent, and fan. An idea, if no one wants to play "paper-scissors-rock," is to put an electric space heater on an electrical timer to turn on at a certain time. However, if y'all boonie camp most of the time, then the first option is likely the best.

Hope these suggestions help or at least give your brain cells a nudge to come up with something of your own.

DJ
    LSCD​​

Comment

A few of us camp year-round here in PA so for our winter trips we pack two 10x10 canopies with walls, and a propane fire pit. Some of the trips its been down in the single digits, but inside its about 50f-100f, depending on what height inside the canopies you measure the temps at. Its pretty comfortable temperature at chair-height 🤣

These are Eurmax brand canopies. The walls velcro to the canopy top, and zipper together at the corners. These canopies are quite a bit heavier than the typical EZ-UP canopies that most people use, but they are definitely a solid choice fur durability.

Click image for larger version  Name:	FB_IMG_1579527092404.jpg Views:	0 Size:	152.7 KB ID:	27336
      Click image for larger version  Name:	20200117_211617.jpg Views:	0 Size:	207.1 KB ID:	27337
      Click image for larger version  Name:	FB_IMG_1579527111468.jpg Views:	0 Size:	53.2 KB ID:	27338

Comment

Another option would be to use an 8 person cabin tent. I have a Eureka Copper Canyon 8 that I have successfully used a large Mr Buddy heater in late fall when temps dip into the low 30’s and upper 20’s in the evening. The nice thing about this tent is it is vented really well at the roof, promoting some fresh air flow and eliminating risk of elevated carbon monoxide. The only downside I’ve found is it is a tent, requiring you to step over (or trip over) the bottom of the entry doorway. 🤣

Comment

Working...
        X