Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas lift strut stress query

Here's a question that may (or may not) have been asked in the past. I searched TNTTT and just threw the question out there on various search engines, but never found an answer. So, here goes -

If one has the luxury of parking a teardrop in a garage or inside storage of some sort, is it better to leave the galley hatch in the up position (and perhaps braced?) or closed to protect the gas struts from stress? I would think the struts would have less strain on them in the extended position, especially if the hatch was braced to hold the weight off of the struts completely. Am I thinking too much or is this a valid query?

Well, gas props are used on car hoods and deck lids and are always stored closed. I have never had a prop on a vehicle quit on me, so I wouldn't worry about it. I would be more concerned with the stress on the hinge being open all the time.

Comment

Past experience for me has shown that gas struts last about 5 to 10 years. Best bet, do what you feel is right for you, when they wear out, they are not that expensive on Amazon. Good Luck!

Comment

Thanks for your inputs. Yes, I know cars have the lift struts in some models and they are (duh) closed most of the time. I'm a biologist by trade, but am fascinated by "small shiny objects" that may fall into the engineering realm. Was just curious if there had been any experimentation of strut life regarding closed hatch vs. propped open. I do have the luxury of parking by TD in my garage and I have the door open most of the time (propped/supported), so I have extra work top space in the bench area. In fact, that's where I had my plans laid out, small parts in small containers ready to go, and beverage container parked.

Comment

The orientation of the gas strut is also important. You want the gas cartridge on the top when closed. The rod that extends out should be on the bottom. This helps keep the seal lubricated, extending the life of the strut.

Comment

G'day All

First post from down under

I am in the throes of designing & hopefully building an offroad teardrop for travelling Outback Australia. Not sure of how the conditions are in comparison to CONUS but have been on some iconic tracks: Binns Track, Tanami Road, Talawana Track & Canning Stock Route, etc, I known that conditions here are a bit extreme.

Found the following websites that may be of use. Broken the links just i case of any issues.
            https:// dunnandwatson.com.au/how-to-calculate-what-gas-struts-you-require/
            https://www .gasspringsshop.co.uk/gas-spring-calculator/
            https:// schuttiesfasteners.com.au/calculator/

Regards
            Iggy
            Ian McLaren

Comment

Working...
            X