Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Easy Is It to Cook Inside a "Standy" Tiny Trailer?

Most of us with tiny trailers cook outside--because we have to or because it's just more convenient, depending on the side of the trailer. I like cooking outside when camping, but sometimes the weather just doesn't cooperate! With my standy tiny trailer, I'm fortunate to have a bit of space for cooking--with limitations. I explore cooking possibilities in this Green Goddess Glamping article--what works, what works best, and even a few simple recipes.
    The 5x10 foot RTTC Polar Bear. To the right of the door a shelf and cabinets are constructed. To the left is the bed area and a small tab...

Get a retro combination toaster oven , grill and coffee maker . Tiny and you can do a lot with it .

Comment

• Tom Kepler
      Tom Kepler commented
      Editing a comment
      I've heard about these and even seen a photo of one once--multi-purpose and compact. My standy trailer is small for a grill, I think, but combining oven and water heater would be goo.

GREAT ideas

i might add an alcohol burner for times when shore power isn't handy

sw

Comment

At home, I often cook with an Instant Pot pressure cooker. Kind of useless without electricity but on an electric site they can easily make any meal and in less time. More time to enjoy that beer while admiring the great outdoors.

Comment

• Tom Kepler
      Tom Kepler commented
      Editing a comment
      Useless without electricity is right! However, here in Iowa, almost all camping is at campgrounds with service. There are a few but not many boondocking opportunities.

Tom, My latest find is a mini rice cooker. Needs electricity but I'm making chicken and rice, pasta dishes, chili, all in the space a jar of mayo takes up. Surprising little thing, with lots of recipes out there out there on the web. ..an idea that might work for you.

Comment

• Tom Kepler
      Tom Kepler commented
      Editing a comment
      It sounds like the rice cooker has a lot of the qualities of a crock pot and Instant Pot. Thanks for sharing. I didn't know they did more than cook rice!

I have both a teardrop and a Casita. My preference is cooking outside. Inside can be done and I've done it, but what I find is hauling things out of the Casita to cook with and then putting them back inside afterwards is a major pain. My solution has been to keep a set of pots and pans and cookware inside the Casita and then just put the tubs I camp with in my tear in the back of the truck. since I have plenty of room in the back of the truck this seems to be working out the best. Since I mainly cook big meals in a dutch oven, this facilitates having everything readily accessible in the back of the truck in designated tubs for each purpose. A tub for dutch ovens, a tub for pots and pans, a small tub for dishes and silverware. Of course having a cap over the truck bed helps out as well. To be blunt the only major draw of a standy over a teardrop is the bathroom and shower. I sort of like having my own bathroom instead of using campground facilities. It's not always convenient to put up the shower tent with the teardrop to house the shower and portipotty.

Art

Comment

• Tom Kepler
      Tom Kepler commented
      Editing a comment
      And with the coronavirus, having a safe toilet and shower will be even more important when we can camp again. I do have some duplicates when we camp with the standy--silverware inside and out. Our standy is much more basic than the Casitas, I believe.

I'm lucky enough to own a 6'x9' Tiny travel trailer. The back opens to complete cupboards and kitchen with a two burner slide out with ice chest storage underneath. I have an Otzi Ember Grill that folds flat and stores next to the water supply under the sink. With my Dutch oven I can cook almost anything, even my home made Carrot Cake.

Comment

Are we all not talking about Glamping to some degree?

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Gray View Post
        David,

Yeah, we can REALLY blur that line between camping and glamping with teardrops. I guess one could say we're the "gateway drug" between tent camping and larger rigs. But then as 'Murkins, we can be quite innovative in our pursuit of camping "comfort." I chuckled at what I heard someone say just recently: "Camping is an expensive way of living as if you're homeless." Can't say he ain't right, but it's still fun!

DJ

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Gray View Post
          I'm not certain what you mean by "Glamping". I like to cook. whether out of the exterior back gally or over a campfire. Been known to open a cold can of beans and Viena wieners then call it a night. Mostly, I just enjoy being outdoors.

Comment

Don,

"Glamping" is "Glamour camping." Simply put: If you're not sleeping on the ground in a tent...you might be glamping. Other hints: If you put out cutsie decor around your campsite and on the picnic table...you might be glamping. If you light up a propane fire ring instead of fussin' 'n cussin' trying to light damp wood for a smoky campfire...you might be glamping. If you have more than just salt & pepper for seasonings in your food box...you might be glamping. If any of your camping menu items requires something exotic like "Mongolian Yak Cheese"...you might be glamping. If you regularly bring along a toaster oven, microwave, crock pot, Air Fryer, Keurig machine, and/or icemaker...you are DEFINITELY glamping! If you put up an awning or canopy, roll out a rug under it, and set up your gravity loungers and side tables instead of a raggedy tarp tied between a couple of trees (if even available!), some rickety folding chairs and an old wire spool for a table...Yep...glamping. If your campsite is lit up like a carnival attraction at night...you might be glamping. If you're "contemplating wine pairings for your entrées" instead of just grabbin' a cold one out of the cooler to go with th' beanie-wienies...Oh, yeah...you're ABSOLUTELY glamping! If you're a member of a camping website like this, are reading posts and thinking "Hey! That's a great idea!", and adding comments, too ...you're a glamper and just haven't realized it and/or accepted the fact that you are one!

I know there are plenty more examples, but I just wanted to throw some of the more (IMHO) humorous ones out there.

DJ

Comment

I transitioned from boondocks wilderness survival camping to glamping and didn't even know it! I thought I was getting good at surviving when she kicks me out of the house for doing something I don't even understand what I did! I'm a GLAMPER ! wow.

I don't cook inside. Too hard to clean up when the pot boils over and the pot holder catches fire..

Comment

Working...
              X