Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from Pittsburgh, PA

Hello everyone, I found this place linked in the DIY Camper Group on FB and figured I'd come check it out

Some quick backround, I have a chevy s10 that I road race and auto-x and recently there have been some events popping up (One Lap of America and Summit Racing Auto-x Week specifically) that require you to travel for a week to different tracks, race and pack up to move to the next one, in some cases, doing 3500+ miles in a week. In an effort to save on hotel costs, I'm looking at building myself a teardrop camper I can tow behind a lowered s10 (with a lot of power and big racing brakes) that won't beat my expensive rear suspension up so much traveling between races. We're limited to using a 4x8 trailer footprint, so I'm looking at using a HF trailer because they're close by to me. I've read about the bearings needing repacked and strengthening the frame a bit, I'm a slightly above average welder so its not alien to me to fab and do metal work.

To make this a reality, it also needs to appeal to my wife (she already lets me spend money on racing!) so AC is a must, a decent albeit functional kitcheonette and a rack on top or on the sides to carry her kayak, pop up tents and misc other stuff would be nice as well, although I THINK using round bar and welding a "cage" around the tear drop body and anchoring to the frame would work?

In any event, I can't wait to dig into this, its going to be an exciting adventure and I appreciate all of you for input/posts you've already made! My wife and I would like to come out and take a look at a couple of the campers already built, as we've been watching an endless amount of videos on youtube made about the meetups on here, we can't wait to make it out to one!

Welcome to the group! There are many here who have built their own rigs who can probably give advice. You are certainly welcome to join any of the advertised outings to meet the folks and get ideas. The Liberty Bell chapter would be your home chapter and they have lots of events each year. Great people.

Gena
    2016 NuCamp T@G Max Teardrop
    Co-Director Chesapeake Bay Chapter

Comment

Working...
    X