Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheers from Middletown, Maryland!

I've been around many teardrop forums for years (just not Tear Jerkers) and my family tends to do a lot of camping, hiking, kayaking, etc. in the summer.

So there I was camping at Janes Island this last summer when I happened across one of your Tear Jerkers gatherings and OMG was it so perfect! See, I've been trying to get my wife to let me build a canned ham for years with little buy-in. When we were there we got a chance to see inside a number of y'alls tear drops, canned hams, and micro trailers and she finally got onboard with my vision of a tiny micro trailer / canned ham that's fully outfitted for sleeping up to 6, with a dinette, toilet/shower, bunks, etc. but built off a popup camper frame using skinned foam to keep the weight to a point we can tow it behind our SUV.

Last week she told me that if I'm willing to put some skin in the game, she's onboard. SHWEET!

So my current plan is to build a canned ham that can both pop-up (the whole roof will raise about 18" and slide-out (think... raise first, lock in support pins, then slide-out.)

Most of it will be constructed of foam with some reinforcement provided by either wood or aluminum. The roof will be constructed of a combination of foam and wood. Both to keep the weight on the top a little heavier but also so that when my wife gets the idea to mount kayak racks to it I'll have the supports already built. (It's just a matter of time before she gets the idea that I could build a kayak rack for it similar to what I did for another trailer this year.)

Anyways, hoping to get the popup camper frame this week. Might have to go with a 12' frame since I can't find a 14' one.

Really glad I can be a part of such a nice group and thanks for the fun times this last summer! :-)

Wonderful, I am glad you got a look around and found some visual ways of convincing the wifey, lol. Good luck with the build and be sure to post your progress for us all to see.

Comment

Working...
    X