Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shasta fixer upper

Found this on marketplace and was first in line to buy it.The previous owner had done some out side work but the inside was completely torn out.

Gutted interior

Comment

Had to cover original water heater area and made a panel for utilities entrance.Will be using a small electric water heater.

Comment

Thanks for posting all the great photos. Interesting to see exactly what they look like when stripped down.
        Congrats on the buy.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick T View Post
          Thanks for posting all the great photos. Interesting to see exactly what they look like when stripped down.
          Congrats on the buy.
          Thanks.The framing originally just hap hazard stapled together.Where they were stapled together I glued in some 3/4 x 2 inch wood blocks.It really added a lot of strength to the joints.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_2147.jpg
Views:	641
Size:	636.9 KB
ID:	10299 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6816.jpg
Views:	649
Size:	636.9 KB
ID:	10300 Some outside work done. Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6814.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1,020.4 KB ID:	10297 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6815.jpg Views:	0 Size:	750.9 KB ID:	10298

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6818.jpg Views:	0 Size:	732.2 KB ID:	10302 Plan is to build 30" x 78" bed on each side facing to back.The foot end of beds goes all the way across and will have the air conditioner mounted in opening between the beds,Building it in sections to be assembled as one unit.The panels are sandwiched 1" foam covered with 1/8 inch luan on both sides.Pretty light weight for the size.
              Attached Files

Comment

Steve, in addition to your photo posts being interesting & informative, you may have also saved me the trouble of starting a new thread & posting my "problem photo" showing the original tongue & jack on my '66 Shasta. The jack no longer works because sometime in its prior life it got bent/banged up, and no longer cranks. It's basically stuck in a fairly low position (about like where yours is, in your photo above, if you include the length of the removable "foot" shown in your photo). I've been wondering what to do about that, which sections were replaceable, which replacement parts were readily available, whether I'd have to cut it out with a torch vs be able to unbolt it, etc). It looks (operative word) like I should (hmmm) be able to unbolt "just the jack" exactly the way yours is unbolted and replaced, above. Did you have any trouble getting your ancient bolts to come out? The very few times I used my Shasta, years ago, I had a pickup that was "lifted" so a low, non-functional jack wasn't a significant problem (there was no risk of it dragging or snagging, hitched to a tall bumper). Now I have a stock height small pickup, and the frozen-in-place jack would probably drag. Where did you get your jack?

Comment

Originally posted by Nick T View Post
                  Steve, in addition to your photo posts being interesting & informative, you may have also saved me the trouble of starting a new thread & posting my "problem photo" showing the original tongue & jack on my '66 Shasta. The jack no longer works because sometime in its prior life it got bent/banged up, and no longer cranks. It's basically stuck in a fairly low position (about like where yours is, in your photo above, if you include the length of the removable "foot" shown in your photo). I've been wondering what to do about that, which sections were replaceable, which replacement parts were readily available, whether I'd have to cut it out with a torch vs be able to unbolt it, etc). It looks (operative word) like I should (hmmm) be able to unbolt "just the jack" exactly the way yours is unbolted and replaced, above. Did you have any trouble getting your ancient bolts to come out? The very few times I used my Shasta, years ago, I had a picThe kup that was "lifted" so a low, non-functional jack wasn't a significant problem (there was no risk of it dragging or snagging, hitched to a tall bumper). Now I have a stock height small pickup, and the frozen-in-place jack would probably drag. Where did you get your jack?
                  Original jack was already gone when I bought it but he gave me new one he hadn't installed.The hole in the A coupler had to be enlarged a little (used a grinder) for the new jack to fit.The bolt holes lined up perfect
                  and just bolted right in.
                  E Trailer has several model jacks and of course Amazon has everything.

Comment

Beds on each side will face to the rear . The cutout in rear is for the AC.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Making some good progress!

Comment

Finally got a little done on the project. Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0506[133].JPG Views:	0 Size:	101.3 KB ID:	14377 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0507[135].JPG Views:	0 Size:	85.0 KB ID:	14378f Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0508[136].JPG Views:	0 Size:	95.0 KB ID:	14379 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0509[137].JPG Views:	0 Size:	89.5 KB ID:	14380

Comment

Removed both disentegrated roof vents.Did away with the one on outer edge and covered with aluminum sheet.
                          Since I was replacing center vent I added a nice 3 speed fan.
                          Now that the roof holes are plugged I can start hanging the inside ceiling.

Comment

Name:	IMG_0621[258].jpg
Views:	357
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	18328 Click image for larger version

Name:	image3[253].jpeg
Views:	352
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	18329 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0630[263].jpg
Views:	356
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	18330 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0622[259].jpg
Views:	358
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	18331 Finally got the ceiling installed.Used 1/4 inch pine tongue and groove.Finished the boards before installing,It was time consuming and a chore but hopefully when I look up at the ceiling at night it will be worth it.

Comment

Name:	image2[254].jpeg
Views:	361
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	18336 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0622[259].jpg
Views:	331
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	18337

Comment

Got some rough in wiring done.

Comment

Thr air conditioner will be mounted in the rear between the beds.

Comment

Built a circuit with current relay to turn an exhaust fan on when air conditioner cycles on.Explanation of above picture.

Comment

Looking great! I like the t&g interior! Good idea with the exhaust fan for the air conditioner. Should help its efficiency quite a bit.

Comment

Installed ac drip pan and drain Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0683.jpg
Views:	393
Size:	862.8 KB
ID:	19400 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0684[429].jpg
Views:	390
Size:	738.8 KB
ID:	19401 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0685.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	700.2 KB
ID:	19402 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0686[431].jpg
Views:	378
Size:	744.2 KB
ID:	19403

Comment

Beds installed.Built these in sections a while back and just screwed together. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0689.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	437.8 KB
ID:	19405 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0690.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	459.7 KB
ID:	19406 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0691.jpg
Views:	396
Size:	413.6 KB
ID:	19407 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0692.jpg
Views:	372
Size:	668.6 KB
ID:	19408

Comment

Name:	IMG_0782[467].jpg
Views:	335
Size:	687.5 KB
ID:	20474 Got some work done on the walls.Ripped some 5mm plywood into 7.25 inch wide strips to create a ship lap look.Got first coat of paint on. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0774[477].jpg
Views:	362
Size:	532.9 KB
ID:	20471 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0775[478].jpg
Views:	345
Size:	544.2 KB
ID:	20472 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0778[482].jpg
Views:	345
Size:	549.4 KB
ID:	20473

Comment

Couple more Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0781[465].jpg
Views:	353
Size:	533.9 KB
ID:	20476 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0783[468].jpg
Views:	337
Size:	674.1 KB
ID:	20477

Comment

Steve, this is really nice! Shiplap looks great and the ceiling is amazing!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MEBerberich View Post
                                                  Steve, this is really nice! Shiplap looks great and the ceiling is amazing!!!!
                                                  Thanks for the compliments.Hope to have it usable by the September gathering!

Comment

Working...
                                                  X