Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody building anything this winter?

Its not a teardrop camper, but we picked up a 1971 Serro Scotty 15' HiLander, which needs a complete tear-down and rebuild. Had to pull the wheels off to wedge it in the garage, but it fit! Hopefully we can get started on it soon!

Probably not what you’re thinking, but I’m building a ‘56 F350 dually flatbed.

Comment

• Zach
      Zach commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice! Is this going to be a new tow vehicle?

• Dennis L
      Dennis L commented
      Editing a comment
      I’m hoping to pull our bigger camper with it someday.

• Zach
      Zach commented
      Editing a comment
      Thats awesome. You aren't too far from us, so hope to check it out sometime! You'll HAVE to bring it to a Liberty Bell Gathering

We sold our '71 Scotty HiLander complete tear-down and rebuild and just completed a full tear-down rebuild of a '74 Scotty HiLander Trunkback.

Comment

• Zach
      Zach commented
      Editing a comment
      It looks fantastic!! Can't wait to see it!

Step one, rebuild the trailer 6X9 for a 6x10 SquareDrop Overlander Style Camper. UPdates as progress continues.

Mark Leathers
    Rolla MO.
    Old Route 66

Comment

• Zach
      Zach commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice!  Start a build journal in this section so we can keep up with you!

Helping a coworker build his teardrop. This is my third build and we are almost done. Should be ready to take home next weekend. Hopefully the campgrounds will still be open next month for his maiden voyage. 🙄

Comment

• Zach
      Zach commented
      Editing a comment
      I commented on your thread in the Bluegrass chapter, but I'll say it again here... looking good!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0856.JPG
Views:	665
Size:	2.04 MB
ID:	4627

Comment

This was my winter project. It was my first attempt at a micro teardrop. 4'x8'. 100% finished and ready to camp.

Comment

My wife has given me the go ahead to build a foamie canned ham that can both slide-out and pop up.

The pop-up is so that we can store it in the garage (doors are 7' high) and have a lower profile for towing.

She wants it done fast so that we can use it this summer and what she wants she gets so I'll probably be putting together a build-log sometime soon.

Have to figure out how to skin it with something she'll approve. I like PMF but I'm not sure that'd get her approval.

Comment

Originally posted by blackhandle View Post
          My wife has given me the go ahead to build a foamie canned ham that can both slide-out and pop up.

The pop-up is so that we can store it in the garage (doors are 7' high) and have a lower profile for towing.

She wants it done fast so that we can use it this summer and what she wants she gets so I'll probably be putting together a build-log sometime soon.

Have to figure out how to skin it with something she'll approve. I like PMF but I'm not sure that'd get her approval.
          Sounds like a fun build! I don't have any experience with foamies, but I know most people finish them with the PMF. I've seen some that have turned out pretty well. From what I understand its just hard to hide the seams and the overlaps in the canvas.

Comment

So.. this has changed some. Going to use the 2x3 studs with foam filling the cavities and 1/4" plywood on the top and bottom method. Need the structural support of the 2x3's.

Comment

I built one of our teardrops using 1/4" plywood (3/16" actual) on each side of 3/4" thick framing. It was actually pretty solid. 2x3 studs should be even stronger!

Name:	10154980_877448589552_450804248_n_877448589552.jpg
Views:	512
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	9662 Click image for larger version

Name:	20190830_174934.jpg
Views:	532
Size:	351.7 KB
ID:	9661

Comment

I just looked at the first picture of our "new" Scotty that I posted when I started this thread last February. Well, one year later its still in the garage, but looking a lot different!

I've got an entire album of the progress here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/kZBujT8qw9X2Rzok6

Name:	141931495_10101237774442612_7812562711449767823_o.jpg
Views:	532
Size:	134.2 KB
ID:	9664 Click image for larger version

Name:	141921166_10101237774627242_3151084035158721108_o.jpg
Views:	513
Size:	118.8 KB
ID:	9665

Comment

Wow, what have you gotten yourself into? Dennis

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis L View Post
                    Wow, what have you gotten yourself into? Dennis
                    Our growing family needs a little bigger camper!

Comment

Got started late, and have only worked on it in fits and spirts, but this is my progress. Profile is just a 5x10 sheet of ply with a corner shaved off. Not too sexy, but it should be super roomy for a can't standy. And yeah the door is huge, probably meant to take up the whole back end of a 4ft wide micro sleeper trailer.

Click image for larger version  Name:	PuMxlNM.jpg Views:	0 Size:	100.5 KB ID:	15704

Comment

I am still in the planning stage. I have picked up several books, looked at numerous plans but haven't actually started on the build yet. I have a 4x8 trailer that I was going to use, till the wife decided that it needs to have a place to put our portable toilet inside. I told her we can get one of those pop up toilet tents....she didn't like that suggestion. So I had to scrap my original plans and look at something a little bigger. I can't go too big since I want to be able to pull it with my 54 F100. Once I get the final plan approval from the boss I will post more.

Comment

Originally posted by Drew G View Post
                          Got started late, and have only worked on it in fits and spirts, but this is my progress. Profile is just a 5x10 sheet of ply with a corner shaved off. Not too sexy, but it should be super roomy for a can't standy. And yeah the door is huge, probably meant to take up the whole back end of a 4ft wide micro sleeper trailer.

Click image for larger version Name:	PuMxlNM.jpg Views:	0 Size:	100.5 KB ID:	15704
                          Nice! You're definitely going to appreciate having all that room!

Comment

Originally posted by Indybeer View Post
                            I am still in the planning stage. I have picked up several books, looked at numerous plans but haven't actually started on the build yet. I have a 4x8 trailer that I was going to use, till the wife decided that it needs to have a place to put our portable toilet inside. I told her we can get one of those pop up toilet tents....she didn't like that suggestion. So I had to scrap my original plans and look at something a little bigger. I can't go too big since I want to be able to pull it with my 54 F100. Once I get the final plan approval from the boss I will post more.
                            As they say - Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance - so keep it up!

Ooooh.... '54... that will be a sweet tow rig! Looking forward to seeing this!

Comment

Working...
                            X