Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alicia's teardrop

Hi, Been riding motorbikes for the past several years clocking between 25,000 40,000 miles per year in the three countries of North America. The only way this is affordable is to camp virtually every night. Hotels have become way WAY too much money for a person on retirement income. So I decided to attempt at a DIY build teardrop to tow behind my motorbike. Recently a friend gifted me 3 4' x 12' sheets of 1/8" diamond plate aluminum. I picked up a very small Aluminum trailer frame with tires etc so used that for my build. It's weight is near 80lbs on the road. So far I have about 90 hours between cutting the aluminum and various aluminum tubing I picked up used here and there and my son-in-law helped me with the welding of all the pieces I cut out. I hear a lot of the word micro or mini when folks refer to their very small Teardrops to tow behind small cars. They all talk about 4" width and 8' or 10' lengths which would be HUGE compared with what I'm building. My concept is simple, I'm tired of pitching tents and crawling up off the ground basically to get out of them to go to the bathroom during the night. This trailer should resolve those issues for me. As such it only needed to be 32" wide, 39" at the tallest inside point because that is how high I am from my butt to top of my head when I sit up and stick my legs out the door to get out. My feet dangle out the door to the ground making it so much easier to get up to walk to the bathroom. Since I'm 5'9" tall 6' of interior space is more than enough for me. I bike to very out of the way places so the trailer needs to be strong enough to handle some pretty rough surfaces. Those are my requirements for this Teardrop build.
    I began this project the 2nd of August 2024.

My project began with this little trailer as a blank canvas

Comment

Tthe door opening after about 90 hrs of work on the projectrying out the door size early on and then

Comment

Great start.Are you welding the metal plate top seam to the sides?Also be sure to clean and pack the wheel bearings with quality grease.

Comment

Yes, My son-in-law has done a great job of welding all the seams 100% inside and outside at both the bottom where the walls meet the floor as well as where the roof meets the walls. Went through 12 pounds of aluminum wire with the mig and a lot of grinding discs. Haven't got a weight on the whole thing yet but I'm thinking it's going to top in about 325 pounds empty. I'll really try to grab some pictures but they'll pretty much be boring. The Aluminum is all 1/8" diamond plate and put together very much like a pickup cross bed tool box so is quite self supporting. My desire wants to paint some color but my mind doesn't think it's needed.

Comment

Comment

Still got a bit of trip to do but it is usable right now. And the weight is officially 320 pounds. Stay tuned for finishing it and how it tows with the motorbike.

Comment

Got it done quick.Looks great.Enjoy!

Comment

Thanks Steve,
                  Starting this project August 2nd and it took to Sept 30th to get to this pint I'm not sure how quick it was. Now I've got to finish all the small details to make it really comfortable but it's quite usable the way it is. The weight wasn't empty since I'm told that memory foam mattress weighs in at 40 pounds. If that's the case she's in at 280 pounds until I begin loading up for travel. We shall see what that comes to. I know that typically I put 250 pounds of gear on the bike to enable my camping. so we shall certainly see.

Update to weight: removed the 6" memory foam 72" by 32" and went to DMV for official empty weight. It comes in at 260 pounds with nothing at all inside. This is what I was hoping for to pull behind my motorbike. SUCCESS!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X