Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wall Thickness?

My floor is going to be 3/4, but for the walls and roof I have an excess of 3/4, was wondering what yall have used was planning either way to insulate with foam board and using 1/4 revo for the interior.

I was warned in advance that "everyone OVERbuilds their first teardrop" so I heeded that advice, resisted the temptation to use more than 1/2inch for floor or walls, and was very glad I made that choice.
    So my walls are 1/2inch plywood exterior, with 3/4 blue Lowe's foamboard sandwiched in between, and for the interior, I used the only "1/8" plywood that was available at that time (2012), which is not really "1/8" but a metric system thickness that's between 1/8 and 1/4. (Lowe's in this area were only selling poor grade Chinese plywood at that time, and true 1/4 and 1/8 wood was not available). I've been entirely pleased with the wall thickness. The insulation really cuts down on NOISE pollution (the teardrop interior is quiet even when there's outside noise), and temperature-wise, I've slept in it in temps down to 26F or so without needing a heater. (My 20-degree sleeping bag works fine in those temps, and if it's above 40 degrees body heat alone usually heats the cabin up to the point where I have to unzip the sleeping bag because it's too warm).

Comment

It does seem a bit much only considered since a have a stack of it, 1/2 seems to be better believe it should be good for the weight to support a few poles and equipment.

Comment

If you haven't already found the site called "Teardrops and Tiny Travel Trailers", I highly recommend it: there isn't any question you can think of, re building small campers, that hasn't been asked & answered there. LOL, knowing how huge the forum is, they probably have a thousand posts just on the topic of wall thickness.

Comment

I guess I would say, insulation or wall thickness in general has a lot to do with what temperatures you camp in and whether you camp using shore power. My first camper was a stick built frame with 1" insulation with 1/4" ply both inside and out. The roof was 1 1/2 with 1/4" outside and 1/8th inside. Second one was 3/4 sides, aluminum siding , no insulation except the roof. 1 1/2" there, rubber roof. Third one was 1/2" floor, stick built frame, 1/4" outside, no wall insulation no roof insulation with 1/4" outside covered with marine vinyl. Forth one is a standy. Stick built frame. I" insulation in the walls, 1/8th" plywood inside and out with aluminum siding. Roof is 1 1/2" insulation with 1/4" outside and 1/8th"inside. Rubber roof. Now after all these builds I have learned this. I camp April to October. Temperatures range from 30 degrees to 100 degrees. I have a small electric heater and a 5000 btu AC in the first and 4th ones. Most of my camping has shore power. Given the size of these little trailers, it doesn't take much to heat or cool them. What I did find is the more insulation, the quieter it is inside. Being inside a small trailer in a rain or hail storm with keep your attention. It's like being in a drum. I also learned that 3/4" sides is so much quicker, cheaper and simpler to do. If you have excess 3/4" use it, but try and use lighter weight materials for shelves cabinets etc. I used mostly 1/4" for cabinets with a soft maple or poplar framework.

Comment

Insulation for noise and temp are a plus weight isnt on my mind with a 3500lb axle, 1/4 for the roof and front 3/8 divider and 3/4 foam board is the plan so far once the weather warms back up abit.

Comment

Working...
            X