Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with choosing a roof fan/vent

Hi fellow TJs. We are planning to have a roof vent/fan put on our 2006 Yoder Toter for better air circulation during the summer. We prefer one that is not loud. Any suggestions?

Chari,

My two-cents worth is get a MaxxFan (MF). The FantasticFan (FF) has been the tried 'n true for a LONG time for reliability, but the MF has some features you may want to consider. Both offer fans with multiple speeds and reversible airflow, but what sold me on the MF was its cover design. It has duel lift arms (vs one for the FF which can allow the cover to flap in the wind) and the cover is a screened cowl that will protect the opening from everything but a wind driven rain from the rear. But even then you can crank down the cowl to almost closed to give a little room for airflow in or out. They even make one with a remote that will open/close it and change the fan settings. Check YouTube for folks talking about/showing off theirs.

I got the 10-speed/reversible model MF and have been VERY happy with it. Settings 1 to 3 are quiet enough for me. Higher fan settings noise can depend on how far you have your windows open. Not to get too "science-y" on you, but restricted airflow = noise.

DJ
    SA-TX

Comment

Thanks DJ. I appreciate the input. There are some nice advantages to the MF...
      I have been reading about a over-voltage problem with the Maxxair. Did you have any similar problems like that?

Comment

No, I haven't heard about any problems with MF fans. A lot of the folks I hang out with in the DIY circuit have MF fans and I've heard nothing from them. Mine's been in use for about 3 1/2 years now with no problems (knocks on wood...). Hopefully that was just a few fans being mfg'd for a while.

Comment

Chari,

I've done some research online regarding this issue and it seems to be isolated in folks use for van conversions which use ONLY 12V power systems w/batteries and solar panels. The MF fans seem to have no troubles when operated by 110V (shore power) applications. Hope that puts your mind at ease if you're considering the MF for your RV.

DJ

Comment

DJ,
            Well, actually I would be using 12V mostly. I have a teardrop with a marine battery and sometimes can plug into shore power but more often camping w/o this option. Good to know though, while I am generally a DIYer in a lot of areas, working on the trailer mechanics is not in my wheelhouse. 🙄 I appreciate you figuring this out. In my research I did not catch the difference between 110 and 12V being the issue.

Comment

OK, then see if you can find some help for wiring in a voltage regulator/controller. That is, if you don't already have one wired into your system. If you do, then this might not be a problem. The MF fans are very picky about "what they eat" on 12V power. The particular van forum in which I found the issue discussed controlling the voltage input to get a steady 12V feed with no dips or spikes. You might reach out to the MaxxFan company, too, and see if there's a "Frequently asked questions" tab that addresses the issue or an email address to "talk" to someone. Also, check out the tnttt forum (www.tnttt.com) to see what folks have to say on fans; that's a gold mine of info for DIYers.

Comment

Thanks DJ! Very good ideas. Yes I love the tnttt forum. A wealth of info. Been discussing this there as well.

Comment

I installed the maxx fan on my teardrop trailer in June and have been enjoying it greatly. The ten speed is so quiet and moves a lot of air. I like that it can run during a rain storm without worry. I have not experienced any issues running it off my ecoflow solar generator. I have also found their customer service to be very helpful answering my installation questions. Good luck with your choice.

Comment

I have the Maxfan Deluxe 7500K on my cargo conversion and have been so happy with it I bought another one for my smaller Camper. Hands down the best features by comparison. Mine has the remote and auto temp sensing to prevent my trailer from getting too hot when it is in storage mode. Quiet in most fan speeds but on ten it gets aggressive moving a lot of air so, yeah, it can get somewhat noisy. With a fully charged lead acid car battery mine ran for two days plus on low speed. It impressed me! The cap design which keeps out rain when it's open was why I bought it but the other features all make it well worth the money!

Comment

Originally posted by SA Jar View Post
                      I have the Maxfan Deluxe 7500K ... has the remote and auto temp sensing to prevent my trailer from getting too hot when it is in storage mode.
                      There is a storage mode? Guess I have to look that up...

Comment

Sorry, "Storage Mode" is a personal term. With sixteen trailers parked around my property, all of them are in "Storage Mode" waiting to be used. With the cargo trailer I have bought and plan to create a solar system to help keep the battery up so the fan can do it's thing in automatic "thermostatic control" mode.

Comment

Working...
                        X