Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Expanded PVC Foam Sheet

A little progress report on using expanded PVC foam sheet as a building material.

I'm using it to replace my Little Guy 5 x 8 trailer interior, which was extensively water damaged. I'm really liking it. Obviously impervious to water, but it's easy to work with, bendable, rugged, lightweight, and easy to cut. It does dent easily, so it's not appropriate for a counter top or anywhere that gets lots of wear and tear. It will hold a sheet metal screw, but since it's softer than wood, you have to be careful not to strip out the hole. I've been buying 1/4 inch 4 x 8 panels from Glantz, a wholesale supplier to the sign making industry. At $81 per panel, it's not much more expensive than birch plywood. I so far have used it on the ceiling and cabinet faces.

Does anyone else have experience using expanded PVC?

Some progress photos:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2887.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.21 MB ID:	27393
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2889.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.70 MB ID:	27394
    Last edited by terrymorse; July 10, 2023, 12:17 PM. Reason: spelling

No experience with this mat'l.Looks like it should be great for your use.Checked the product link you provided and there is a branch in my area.They have a good selection of aluminum sheets also.The company I have used before for aluminum stopped selling to the public.Was wondering if Glantz does?

Comment

Originally posted by SteveC View Post
      Checked the product link you provided and there is a branch in my area.They have a good selection of aluminum sheets also.The company I have used before for aluminum stopped selling to the public.Was wondering if Glantz does?
      I checked a few of the aluminum composite panels (ACP) available at my local Glantz branch. They stock the BeBond brand sheets, 48" x 96":
      • 3mm white 2-sided Econo -- $54.97
      • 3mm white 2-sided premium -- $64.38
      • 6mm white 2-sided premium -- $93.97
      The aluminum on the Econo panels is about 4 mils thick; on the premium it is about 8 mils thick. Pretty thin, but the panels have a solid core that should help resist holes and dents.

The local branch does have 48" x 96" aluminum sheet in stock:
      • 032 thick -- $77.21
      • 040 thick -- $93.57
      • 063 thick -- $146.05
      • 080 thick -- $184.74

I haven't used aluminum composite panels (ACP) before, but I'm thinking they might be useful for building a tongue storage box. Does anyone have experience building stuff with ACP?

Comment

Working...
      X