Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just can't find plans

Hello everyone, I am ready to start on my first build. I have looked at the pros and cons of teardrop vs squaredrop. For my first build I have decided to build a slab sided, squaredrop. My problems is plans. I'm looking for good plans for a 4x8 SD. Either public domain or paid, I dont really care. What I need is good plans, a shopping list, and perhaps a cut sheet. The plans I have found have either been too basic, or they are vague. Any help with this would be appreciated. I already have my trailer. I'm just needing SD plans. Thanks....pipercub

Hi Matt! This is my first comment on the forum, so here goes. I built my own teardrop using old plans from tnttt.com. They used to have a really good design library. Its no longer available, but using the search function many plans and ideas can be had. Are you the pilot of that Cub? Are you a mechanic also? If so, use the same principals with your square drop. Build it light, and strong like the structure of an airplane. I've worked on only aluminum structured aircraft. General aviation up to 747-400, bypassing the corporate area! Only in school 40 years ago did I do any fabric, composite, or wood structure work. I took what I've learned and tried to apply it to the camper. I built using all wood.Then used my structures/sheet metal skills to cover it! Not perfect, but I've been out of aviation for 20 years! Study some plans and adjust the shape and size to fit your needs! Plan ahead as you go! Everything affects something else So, it takes a lot of looking ahead! Take your time and enjoy it as you go.

Comment

Dave, yes I am the restorer and pilot of the 1945 J-3. I restored it about 20 years ago. It's a family member. My first question is the construction of the floor. If I make my floor a true 4x8 sheet of 3/4" ply then
      if I set the walls (1/2" ply) down outside the edge, the overall width of the camper is 1 inch wider than 4 feet. if I set my walls on top of the floor then I have an exposed seam at the bottom. I could cut 1 inch off the width of the floor and then set the walls down past the edge. I now have a true 48" outside edge to outside edge. Since I will be using 1/2 ply for the front, top and rear It just makes sense th have the walls no wider than 48" outside to outside for standard width plywood Any thoughts ?

Comment

Sounds like you have a plan! Are you looking at covering in aluminum? Glass? Here's a cut away view to look at.

Click image for larger version

Name:	CutAwayViewOfWallFloorPICS.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	31709

Comment

Dave, thanks for the graphic. That helps. I’m going to print it and stick it on my garage wall for reference. Matt

Comment

FRP at Lowe’s or Home depot. I’ve read about FRP panels for the exterior. HD says for interior use only. Lowes says nothing like that. Do any of you have experience with FRP ? Where did you buy it ?
            How’s it holding up ? Matt

Comment

I would not recommend FRP - its not made with UV stabiliizers to protect it from sun damage. But for those who have decided to use FRP anyway, they typically paint it. You have to use a exterior paint that is compatible with the material.

Comment

Working...
              X