Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inverter and battery monitor quesiton

Hoping someone can help with an electrical question.

My whole system at this time is 12v.

I currently have a battery monitor hooked up with my 200ah lithium battery. The specs on this are as follows.
    Working voltage: 8.0-80.0 V
    Current range: -100~+100 amps
    Capacity range: 0-999 ampere-hour

I am getting ready to wire a 1500w inverter, and I would like to run it through my battery monitor so I can see how much battery it uses.
    I don't need to monitor the output of the inverter, just the output of the battery.

I will only be using the inverter when we aren't at an electrical site, and only to boil water with a 1000w water kettle.

The question I have is, do I need to upgrade the battery monitor to run this inverter?
    It seems that there will still only be 12v running from the battery, through the monitor to the inverter, where it will be converted to 120v.
    Or do I have that totally wrong??
    Will there be 120v running through the wire from the battery to the inverter when I have the inverter going, which is outside the max 80v that the monitor can handle?

I don't want to blow anything, so do I need to get rid of this 100A and go to the 350A, or will this one be just fine?

Thank you!

Hello,yes the battery is still supplying 12vdc and inverter putting out 120vac.The kettle uses about 8.3 amps at 120vac but through the inverter where the formula
    P=EI (P watts E voltage I amps) the draw is I=P/E so 1000watts/12vdc= 83.3 amps dc draw from the battery.Inverter not 100% efficient.At www.battery stuff.com
    entering your 1000 watt kettle came out to about 92 amps,so for every hour of use would be 92 amps draw on the battery.You may want to heat your water with gas.
    Last edited by SteveC; September 19, 2022, 07:23 AM.

Comment

The inverter will not backfeed any AC voltage to your DC system (battery), so you're fine there. But, as Steve mentioned, your 1000w kettle will likely pull more than 85A from the battery, through the shunt and inverter due to the inverter efficiency. This assumes your battery monitor is installed correctly, and that you are not simply connecting the inverter directly to the battery.

Can you tell us more about how your system is wired? For a shunt-based battery monitor to work as designed, it should be the ONLY thing connected to the negative terminal of your battery. Then everything should connect to the shunt (or a terminal bar connected to the shunt).

In regards to the power draw of the electric kettle, I would normally "2nd" what Steve said about using gas. However, you do have the benefit of the 200aH lithium battery, so even if the 1000w kettle is on for 15 minutes, thats "only" about 10% of your total power capacity.

Comment

Working...
      X